Beef pot roast
- 1 dessertspoon olive oil
- 1 (2kg) silverside roasting joint
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Prep:20min › Cook:2hr › Ready in:2hr20min
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas 3.
- Heat a casserole pot on the hob over medium high heat. Add oil, and sear meat in the centre of the pan for 4 minutes. Turn meat over with tongs; sear all sides for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove meat from pan.
- Arrange onion, garlic, and 1 bay leaf in the bottom of the pan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return meat to pan, place remaining bay leaf on top of meat, and cover.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 150 C / Gas mark 2, and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove roast to a platter to rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Slice, and top with onions and gravy.
Used different ingredients. This was excellent...but I'm happier with the success of the gravy that was produced from this!! Thanks to the tips I added some beef stock to ensure moisture. I did have to thicken a little by adding some cornflour (very little) but I assume its b/c I added a little too much beef stock. Excellent taste, texture and overall, was much easier than I thought it would be!! Very excited to make this again!! Thanks Teresa!! - 24 Jul 2008
Something else. I added some peeled and halved potatoes to the pot when it went to the oven. They turned out great! also cooked it covered for most of the time so the onions never got dry! - 27 Feb 2010
Yummy! Perfect gravy from the onion juices. Added thyme instead of garlic - 19 Feb 2012