Wholemeal Beer Bread
- 200g (7 oz) plain flour
- 175g (6 oz) wholemeal flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 tablespoons dark brown soft sugar
- 1 (330ml) can or bottle beer
Prep:10min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hr
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 23x12cm (9x5 in) loaf tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine plain flour, wholemeal flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Pour in beer, stir until a stiff batter is formed. It may be necessary to mix dough with your hands. Scrape dough into prepared loaf tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cocktail stick inserted into centre of the loaf comes out clean.
Absolutely gorgeous bread - very easy to make and it stayed fresh - in foil - for over a week. Highly recommended! - 10 Oct 2011
Used Erdinger Weisbier for the beer ingredient. A slightly stronger aftertaste came from it than I would have liked. Would appreciate any suggestions on a light beer to use.Other than that this bread was beautiful! - 20 Sep 2009
I love this bread. Its so quick and easy and works with savoury or sweet toppings. I added some sunflower seeds for extra texture and its beautiful toasted with butter and raspberry jam - 26 Apr 2011