Best apple crumble ever
- 4 apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 100g (3 oz) dark brown soft sugar
- 125g (4 oz) plain flour
- 150g (5 oz) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Prep:15min › Cook:35min › Ready in:50min
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5.
- In a 23cm (9 in) square baking dish, mix sliced apples with brown sugar. In a large bowl, mix together flour, caster sugar, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, beat together egg and melted butter. Stir into flour mixture. Spread evenly over apples.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until topping is golden and crisp.
Used different ingredients. I added a bit of water to the apples as I like it saucy. - 07 Aug 2008
Sorry but I have to agree with some of the previous comments. This was WAY too sweet! I would recommend you half the amount of brown sugar in the apples and use only 100g of caster sugar in the topping. I wasnt too sure about the topping as most of the reviews were 'for' it I gave it a go and I have to say i'd rather have a proper crumble. Perhaps if it hadn't been too sweet it may have been more of a hit. Even my hubby didnt eat it and he loves apple pie/crumble and will usually eat anything that I cook! Cooked on 140C in a fan oven (160 conventional) for 40 minutes and it was cooked perfectly, apples were lovely and soft, just too sweet! Will not make again though - 28 Aug 2011
I had already prepared my apple so just used this recipe for the topping.....it tasted great BUT if I wanted apple with cake on top I would hav searched for just that, it was not a crumble AT ALL but my hubby did hav a second helping so not all bad I guess..... - 07 Nov 2011