Best Ever Split Pea Soup
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6 to 8 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 200g (7 oz) yellow split peas
- 200g (7 oz) green split peas
- 2L (3 1/2 pints) chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Prep:20min › Cook:2hr30min › Ready in:2hr50min
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic until onion is translucent. Stir in yellow and green split peas, stock and bay leaf; season to taste. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 2 1/2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Purée warm soup with a blender or food processor. Return to pot, heat through and serve.
Make this soup vegan by using vegetable stock.
Altered ingredient amounts. I've substituded the carrots for butternut squash and added some chilli flakes, it's delicious! - 06 Jan 2010
This was great!! i used vegetable stock for mine and it was lovely! If using veggie stock, you might want to add a few more peas. Loved it! - 21 Aug 2009
Loved this recipe, simple ingredients...simple to make and so tasty! I will be making this again. I decided not to puree the soup in the end as I liked it the way it was. xx - 10 Jun 2012