- 1 medium sized cauliflower
- 60g (4 tablespoons) butter
- 60g (4 tablespoons) plain flour
- 450 ml semi-skimmed milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 50g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
Prep:10min › Cook:25min › Ready in:35min
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C /gas mark 6. Wash the cauliflower and remove some of the outer leaves, if you like. You can leave it whole or break into large florets. Place in a lage pot, add enough water to cover the thick stalk and boil for 8 to 10 minutes. Don't overcook as it will continue to cook in the oven.
- Over a low heat, gently melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the flour. Use a whisk or wooden spoon to mix them together. The mixture should pull away from the sides of the pot but continue to stir for another minute to allow the flour to cook.
- Pour in a little of the milk and whisk or stir continuously. When the mixture has thickened up, add more milk but keep stirring. Continue to do this until the sauce has thickened but is still pourable. Add the grated Parmesan and stir well. season with salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Drain the cauliflower well and place in an oven proof dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower, making sure you cover all of it. Sprinkle over the grated Cheddar cheese. Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until the cheese has turned golden brown.
If the mixture is too thick, you can thin it down with some chicken stock.
Place in the roasting oven on the grid shelf. If oven is hot, it will take 20-25 minutes to brown on top. Can easily be cooked while you are resting or carving a roast.
GOOD TO GO - 11 Dec 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. added 40g og mozzaella left over. ok worth atry - 11 Dec 2010
I made cauliflower and broccoli cheese, it was fab. - 02 Dec 2012